Do I need to practice to use my pepper spray? How can I make sure my pepper spray will work when I need it?
The easiest way to insure the reliability of your pepper spray is to make it your habit to test it.
Test your mace or pepper spray first time when you receive it from us, then test it every 2-3 months
To test mace or pepper spray:
- Go outside
- Make sure there are no unsupecting bystanders nearby
- Determine which direction the wind is blowing
- Remember to always stand upwind from the direction you are spraying. The wind, if any, should be blowing from behind your back, toward the bottle of the pepper spray that you are holding
- Point the nozzle of the bottle away from yourself
- Depress the firing mechanism for ? second
- That is it! You did it!
Be aware that every time you test your spray you reduce the contents of the bottle.
If you are using a key chain model and you test regularly you will need to replace the unit every 9 to 12 months if you follow the recommended testing procedure above.